Rosa,

I teach second grade and I am also an adjunct instructor at Appalachian
State U..  I have written an article about my spelling program along with
Dr. Darrell Morris, director of the ASU reading clinic.  I would be glad to
email it to you if would like.  We presented it at the IRA convention last
year in Chicago.  I assess my students at the beginning of the year in
spelling.  I then place them into spelling groups.  I use a developmental
spelling program that meets their needs through word study activities.
Words Their Way is also a good resource, if you know something about sorting
words.

Judy