tool I've used is taping the student as s/he reads.  I used it to teach a
family how I was coaching the student so that they could work at home.
However, I wonder if it would "make clear" to a child what she was doing if
she listened to the tape of herself as she was rereading the text.  This
might lead to some interesting discussions!

To the folks who introduced "The PRoject Approach" topic on this listserve:
Thank you!  I do projects in Social Studies, but am not as thorough as what
is on this site.  Just as MOT, 2d ed has shown me, this site shows me how
much more EXPLICIT I need to be in my teaching.  You folks are just a breath
of fresh air!  Chris