Here is a fine song about gardening -- I have several versions of it and
love to sing it with kids.  I think it is a wonderful metaphor for
teaching and teachers

Inch by inch, row by row
Gonna make this garden grow
All it takes is a rake and a hoe
And a piece of fertile ground
Inch by inch, row by row
Someone bless these seeds I sow
Someone warm them from below
'Til the rain comes tumbling down

You can find the entire song lyric at this website:
http://members.tripod.com/tiny_dancer/garden3.html

Timothy Rasinski, Ph.D.
Reading and Writing Center
404 White Hall