Hi Debbie,
And what are they controlling?  The place were the notebooks are kept?  The
lack of
secrecy about what the teacher writes?  I'm not sure about this part and so
would love
some ideas about what this looks like.
Thanks,
Elisa Waingort
Calgary, Canada

The one thing that I can see the value of is the students having control of the
notebooks. You know how good they are about that. If they have a Reading
Workshop notebook and a place to keep it (and they aren't allowed to take it
home) I know it will always be there. If we have them bring it to the
conference and we write out observations, we will be able to use them later for
assessment or parent conferences. I also think the stickers are a good idea, as
long as I make enough, keep the original file and always have them on hand to
make more.
Debbie