All these new points RE oral and silent reading comprehension pretty much
affirm my statement about the question -- "Answers will vary."  And that's
why I say that the question, "How can we possibly know that?" was indeed a
brilliant question.  What we have seen and heard on this listserve in
reponse to that discussion pretty much show us adults, who probably have a
better"guess" about what aids/hinders their comprehension, giving us
well-documented and personal answers about oral/silent reading and
comprehension.  And, indeed, answers do --and will -- vary.  Which is
precisely why I said that the only incorrect answer to the question (about
oral reading reflecting silent reading) is one which someone attempts to
make absolutely universal.  Can't be done, in my opinion, and the current
discussion supports my theory.

Thank you!  That is what I have been thinking. Once a child is comfortable
and capable with reading I don't see this as much.  But, with my
low/struggling readers it makes all the difference for them to read it out
loud!

<It's not that they are focused, it's because their EARS are smarter than
their MOUTHS...That's because a child LISTENS to the words for 4-5 years
before they learn to READ.  They can tell when something SOUNDS right (try
reading aloud to them and make a mistake....they'll catch it).  Most people
find reading aloud or moving your lips makes comprehension easier....it's
because we can HEAR the errors and correct them. >