I also use the memos function of handhelds to track my student conferences
duing writer and reader workshop.  I made one memo for each student, so on the
memo list (in a single category), I have a table of contents by student name.
When I meet with a student I hit their memo, add the date, and add what we talk
about and anything I might want to check on later.  I can also beam the memo to
the student's handheld so they have a reminder of what we talked about, too.  I
thought of buying a database program for this process, but memos worked great
so I never bothered.

:)Bonita