Kat,
You have given me some FABULOUS ideas for test preparation. I love the idea
of integrating the questions into the normal read-aloud time. So you have
the kids themselves think of a question type (main idea, for example) that
fits with what you just read, and then *they* create the answer choices?
That's a great metacognitive approach. And you are so right that the
important part of test prep is the reviewing and discussing.

More questions: Do you do a formal test prep unit at all? Do you have a list
of the question types (summarizing, inferencing, etc.) and try to make sure
they are all touched upon? I ask because I have a Time for Kids kit with
twelve types of skills and graphic organizers for each one, and I am a
little overwhelmed thinking about teaching all of them formally. I love the
idea of sliding the questions in under the radar, but I would be afraid of
not teaching all the skills fully enough. (I'm a newish newbie!)

Anyone else have input on test prep??
~Maggie
5th/TX

Kat's original response:

Hi,

The best way I've seen  "Test Prep" handled in a reading workshop format is
to make a chart of possible question stems that might be used to test the
skill that you are teaching. (Example for inference: "Why did ________ do
_______?")  The chart should grow slowly as the year goes on.  Spend a
little time (5 min) at the end of read aloud or mini-lessons brainstorming a

question using one of the stems that relates to whatever text and skill you
are on.  Finally, brainstorm possible answers, making sure that the kids
create at least one answer that is tricky or difficult to decide.  You-or
better yet a student- can chart the question and answers using the test
format and leave the tracks of learning hanging where the kids can refer
back to them.

I think doing this a little throughout the year results in learning that is
beneficial to the student and still gives them the specific test taking
skills that they need to do well on the test.  I'm a TX teacher also so I
know there is a lot of pressure to do the reading passages. When you use the

passages to prepare them the only beneficial part is when you review and
discuss what they did and help them see what they should have done.  This
method is more engaging and skips straight to the review and discuss.  As
you go on you could even use some cooperative learning strategies and have
groups of kids create questions for the rest of the class as a game.  It
works for me - I haven't had a student fail yet, and I get the kids that are

well below grade level at the beginning of the year.

Kat
3rd/TX

--
Maggie Dillier

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and
don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the
endless immensity of the sea." (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)