I love that kind of analogy too! I love that: Are dentists judged by how
many cavities their patients have? It reminds me of that analogy about
doctors having to treat 30 patients all at once, none of whom want to be
helped. Does anyone have the exact quote?

~Maggie
5th/TX

On 7/25/07, Bonita DeAmicis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > My apologies for not testing the "Free Trial" button.
> >
> > Dave Middlebrook
>
> We forgive you, Dave. Thank for offering highlights of the article!  I
> love analogies that bring things to light for folks.  When my husband, a
> manager in business, asked me why I worked so hard, wasn't teaching
> "easy?"  I asked him if he had ever directly managed thirty people at once
> (no interim managers)--all 30 who needed to be trained (none who were
> entirely ready to just go and do the job)? AND, I added, you would also need
> to put together measurable performance evaluations on a quarterly basis that
> address EVERY topic of the business (no specialties) AND you would all be
> working in the same large room sharing all your supplies, all together at
> all times. Plus, I proffered, some of them might need some assistance with
> bathroom habits.  He stopped asking me why teaching took so much time and
> energy:)
>
> I love the analogy of dentists being judged by their patients' cavities or
> doctor's being judged by their patients' illnesses, too. Numbers offer us
> some guides, but hardly the whole picture.
>
> It makes sense that even in business, number measurements do not always
> lead the way.  I believe one of the problems with businesses today is an
> over reliance on quick numbers for stockholders which can quickly lead to
> poor short-term decisions for the business itself.
>
> :)Bonita

Maggie Dillier

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and
don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the
endless immensity of the sea." (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)