In a message dated 8/1/2007 8:00:11 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Debbie said: I don't think you're being paranoid. I do the same thing  (and
that would mean I'M paranoid!) You have an objective, a special purpose  for
those books and they need to be there when you need them. What I do is try  and
collect another copy and put it out after I use it for read aloud or even
guided reading. (I have some multiple copies) Do you have enough books for the
students? Maybe you feel like they don't have enough. You could just hit the
used book stores and garage sales to beef up your library area  instead.

Thanks to everyone for the response.  I  teach 5th grade, and  I have lots
and lots of chapter books,  but didn't really start  collecting picture books
until I started teaching strategies.  Since it's  expensive to buy these books,
and most of the ones that I want don't seem to  be in any book orders, even
those for the young ones, I have only been buying  single copies of each title
so that I could have more books to choose from for  my lessons and read alouds.
 I'm glad to hear that so many of you have  your own special basket, too.
I'll try to quit feeling  selfish!

I guess I just have guilt issues when it comes  to certain books.  I don't
like to share professional books much,  either.  I spend SO MUCH money on them,
and I don't like the idea of  not being able to immediately put my hands on
something when I need  it.  Usually, I don't mention what I have been reading
except to  maybe a teacher or two.  Then, if a teacher is stumped about
something and needs my help, I'll recommend that they buy certain books.   By
the
time they are really looking for some answers, they are usually ready  to spend
their own money and put in the work to try to make the  changes.
Sherry