As a first grade teacher I find many of my kids, and especially the
strugglers, prefer non-fiction. They have more schema for it because they have
observed and wondered. The pictures and photos are engaging and comprehension
is  a
bit easier because there is a lot of literal interpretation. Things make
sense.

Fiction can be daunting especially when there are nonsense words,  humor,
deep meaning, conversation, no illustrations and the list can go on.

I guess what I am saying concurs with others: kids need both fiction and
nonfiction. They need to understand the similarities as well as the
differences.
The conventions need to be explicit for both. They need to talk and write
about  both. First graders can and do both from the get go.