I have been a k/1 teacher for many years.  My daughter has an Aug. 8th
birthday.  Aug.31st  is the cutoff for Kindergarten in Florida.  She was always
extremely small for her size.  I went ahead and let her begin K with the
thought that if she ended up not ready to move on, I was fine with that.  She
had 3 and 4 year old preschool so I knew that she had some readiness - just not
the maturity to go with it.  As it turned out, she blossomed so much and far
surpassed many others in the class academically.  Although size and maturity
was against her, it was not in her best interest to be retained either.  She
would have been extremely bored and it would have wasted a year.  My only
regret is that my daughter is still small for her age but her maturity has
slowly caught up with the others throughout the years.    It is hard sometimes
to find that line of retention as a teacher and a parent but I truly feel that
each child needs to be looked at individually to find the best way to make
him/her successful.  It's never black and white.
Debbie

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.
Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your
e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send
electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in
writing.