> I understand the concern voiced by one member regarding the word fun, but
> I think "fun" is semantics--we are all talking, I think, about the idea of
> instant easy enjoyment of reading versus reading that takes more from us
> but sometimes leads to more in return? Am I wrong?  Are we talking about
> something else?

I left for vacation on the 7th and don't think I addressed this, so here's
my thoughts:

"Easy Enjoyment" is fun.

"Reading that takes more from us but sometimes leads to more in return" is
also fun.

It is semantics, but I think is the level of fun we seem to be unsure of.  I
can watch STAR WARS and get involved in the action and special effects and
it will be fun, but I can also look at the levels of meaning in the film and
understand the mythic model that has a lot in common with Greek myth and
drama, but that is also fun because I enjoy the analysis.  I can read TO
KILL A MOCKINGBIRD and enjoy it for the story and for the character of
Scout, but I can also enjoy it for the levels of meaning about equal rights,
morality, and family.

I think what we are trying to discuss is INVOLVEMENT.  As a reader, my
"enjoyment" of the work is directly related to my "involvement" as a reader.
After all, reading is a synthesis of the author and the reader, so as long
as I'm doing my part of the equation, I'm involved.  If I'm still thinking
about it while I'm away from the book or after I've left the theater, then I
got something out of it....That's what I mean by "fun".....

I think the kids only think of reading as an act that occurs only when they
are reading and not afterwards.  They don't get anything out of the act, so
they don't enjoy reading.  They need to be involved with their reading....

Bill