Marg, Here is a website on research done about AR that
I thought was well-done.  I am at a school where we
have extrinsic rewards for reading (which I object to)
through AR points.  I basically tell my students about
AR (as required) and let it go.  I face the fact that
"my picture in the car was last on the road'  because
my students made less points than anyone else.  Yet my
students all passed the reading portion of the state
test!

http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/whatsnu_ar.html#krashen

In my opinion, the money that might purchase an AR
program is better spent on buying quality books for
the students,  and helping the teachers to motivate
the students to enjoy reading (have Jim Trelease come
for a visit for example).

Good luck.  Freida Hammett 3rd/Ga