hi Jennifer,
When I did lesson study with math we had two goals in the lesson--so each time
we did the lesson we looked for growth/change along the lines of the goals we
had set.  In our case the goals were: 1. students will persist through a
problem (this we measured by timing how long various groups maintained interest
and worked on the problem we had given--from our first lesson to the fourth
time we did the lesson we saw students go from lasting under five minutes to
lasting 20 minutes--so we knew our changes had worked).  2. Our other goal
(content goal)was that students would flexibly move between fractions and
decimals to attempt to find solutions to the problem.  This we saw growth in
too, but we changed and added more visual scaffolding to help them along, and a
different order to what we presented,  and that made the difference (I say we
but it was only one teacher who taught--the rest just watched and recorded).
We video recorded the lesson and some of what some students were saying, we
also tried to take notes on the words of high and low students for ideas about
what was happening during the lesson.

Sounds like you wanted to examine student words and comments for some idea of
the level of thinking they were reaching-with the hope of hearing some higher
level thinking about the text---so recording their words in a script seems an
appropriate use of the observation teachers.  How will you know if the changes
you make to the lesson will make a difference the next time?  Will you compare
the words the next group says during the lesson with the words of the children
from the first lesson to see if there is an increase in discussion beyond the
literal level? Will you compare the post it notes too?

:)Bonita