Hi everyone,

I had posted a couple of days ago that I had done a lesson using Moonbear's
Skyfire for schema.

Well, yesterday I was doing a read-aloud with my first graders with the book
The Alphabet Mystery.  For those of you who are unfamilar with the book, the
lower case letters of the alphabet do roll call every night before going to bed
and discover that little x is missing.  They go in search of little x and find
out that he ran away because the owner of the letters never use him.  The
letters tell him he needs to come back because the owner is going to use him 4
times tomorrow for his mother's birthday.

I stopped here and told my students I was confused.  I wrote "Happy Birthday
Mom!" on a tablet on my chart stand .  Then I said to them puzzled, "I don't
see where you could use the letter "x"".  Several hands shot up and told me
that he was going to use the letter "x" for kisses.  "Really I said.  Do you
think that's going to happen?"

Then one little girl raised her hand and told me "Mrs. Barra, the reason your
confused is because using the letter "x" for kisses is not in your schema" I
did all that I could to not burst out laughing.  It was so rewarding that one
child got it!!

Felicia