Lori said she wasn't sure that we needed to teach all the vowel sounds  ea or
ee directly,  etc.

I agree... I know the idea is you are illuminating the patterns of the reading
code, but my experience has been that it feels to children as though they are
having to learn yet another language.  It is too abstract/isolated to do all
that in direct explicit instruction. AND it isn't worthy of the time it
requires.  I'd rather have the kids doing more reading and we know the research
validates the effectiveness of that.   I know it is important and I dont' want
to irgnore it but there , as always, is a happy medium to be found in our
approach which will address the diversity of the students in your classroom.
IMO  Gina