Hi Bill,
I think I "get" what you mean.  I believe the most important reading lessons I
teach are the ones before I teach strategies or anything else.  Those are the
lessons where I teach them about finding reading that rocks for them, where I
teach them to listen to the inner-converation they have with text that tells
them if it makes sense, and where I teach them to make pictures or movies in
their heads.  I also teach them about the joys of FLOW and how to get there as
a reader.  These are the lessons that lead my teaching and later I address
helpful skills like strategy instruction or use of icons for deeper meaning in
reading. these are the lessons that I hope get my word-callers to reconsider
their method of so-called reading.

This past week I used a drawn out metaphor to show students what I meant.  I
said reading is like eating an apple.  You can just lick the skin (they all
laughed and I asked why that was funny).  We agreed that licking is NOT eating
an apple anymore than looking at words--even reading them and letting them wash
over you is NOT reading, not really. So then we talk about chewing and how that
is when you get the apple-taste and we compared that to the inner talk and
pictures that allow you to begin to enjoy text.  Then--we swallow and our
stomach starts to break the apple down.  It feels good in our stomach if we are
hungry, just like reading and figuring out parts we do not understand feels
good and keeps us going.  Finally the apple moves into the intestines where it
is digested and nutrition enters our bloodstream and while, maybe, we are less
aware of the goodness that is happening--it is important.

 I compare the final digestive step to the part where, when reading, we reach
deeper, trying to unravel the learning or messages that might lie beneath the
surface of the text ,  that might drive us to read more text of a similar
nature or to have an inner debate. That is reading with analysis.  The
strategies are simply tools help us to go beyond the apple-lick to real taste
and (if we work at it and want it)--to the deeper nutritional value.

:)Bonita