I think it entirely possible and very appropriate to do both.  While I am no
fan of the look alike art or the decorations that are merely decorations, I
think teaching through themes makes sense. A piece of interactive writing
about pumpkins that is trimmed with small pumpkins the children have
actually drawn (not color sheets).

What is art response?  I have not heard that term before.

Lori

On 9/29/07 8:17 AM, "A.Michele Paci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi All,
>
> I'm in need of some input. I'm new to kindergarten and am having a few
> questions about my practice. I've been getting lots of questions about why I'm
> not running a 'theme-based' program in kindergarten (e.g. apples in September,
> harvest/pumpkins in
> October...). I basically believe that comprehension drives my practice; that
> is, when I am teaching the students how to make connections, for instance, we
> work on this in all areas of the curriculum in a way that is authentic and
> meaningful, where
> possible. Sure, that may mean we study fall harvest, but I don't need to make
> pumpkin templates for everything I do, nor does my art response need to
> connect to the fall. I feel that by teaching these comprehension strategies
> across the curriculum as my
> cornerstone, I will create critical learners. However, I am definitely open to
> other's opinions. Does anyone have a good article that I could read on the
> matter?
>
> Thanks for your input,
> Michele, A kindergarten newbie

Lori Jackson