Hi Susan,

I like you say about focusing on building community by focusing on things
pertinent to the kids. That's exactly what we are focusing on making
connections and how easy this is, if we build on what they already
know--themselves & their families. I have re
ad Starting with comprehension by Cunningham and it really lays out how to make
sure that the comp. strategies are driving your instruction. I couldn't believe
some of the connections the kids made to the character leon in Leon & Bob. I
kicked off schema
by bringing in photographs from the paper that I thought the kids would connect
to. We started by deconstructing what we say, for instance, summer scene,
probably brother & sister, probably in a backyard, and then I used the prompt
This reminds me of..."
The kids shared Knee to knee and then orally---it was amazing where the kids'
thinking took them. Since that first photograph, I've done a few more and each
time, the kids are able to tell me what they are reminded of and why pretty
well! For the art res
ponses, I am trying to tie this in as well to making connections--I do a read
aloud and then we talk about the illustrations in the text, what they remind us
of etc. and the kids draw their connection. Let me know, what you're thinking
and any ideas to i
mprove my practice would be fantastic!

Michele