From: gina nunley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 2:47 pm
Subject: [MOSAIC] mastery of stragies

Am I right that the STW 2 doesn't focus on connecting?  I am about to rethink
it
myself.  I just spent 2 weeks on it.  Forcing a connection, and then forcing a
So What? meaningful use of the connection isn't flowing well.

I also decided after several years that insisting they code T-S, T-T, and T-W
isn't really necessary either.  I am being much simpler.  I am saying

Hey did this remind you of anything...oh yeah?  What?  Oh do you think that you
can use that information to understand and event or character...no OK let's go
on.  Yes OK let's talk about that.

No connection?  OK let's keep reading.  Or maybe I add my own.

I see teachers, myself included, forcing the strategy work and it just doesn't
work that way most days, which leaves me wondering how to talk to my district
about MASTERY.

  See we need to do common assessments to show mastery of our strategy unit.
What would you say to them?  Thanks, Gina 6th grade.