Hi,

I have a few thoughts here.  One is that you can get
the 6 pack of "Should There Be Zoos?"  directly from
Mondo for $39.00, and if you get other teachers who
would like a copy to split it, it could be quite
cheap.  It is a fabulous piece.

Second, I agree with you about the "bargaining"
format.  I use "I Wanna Iguana" to actually POINT OUT
the difference between bargaining and persuading, and
then I try to get the kids to help the kid in the book
come up with good reasons.  I get mixed results based
on the abilities of my kids.  IMO, crafting a
well-thought out true persuasive argument is a bit out
of most 3rd graders developmental reach, but it's
helpful  to introduce and have kids try it.  When I
looped 3/4, I felt the 4th graders (many who had
trouble with it in 3rd) understood it much better
toward mid/end of 4th.

Finally, (and I apologize because this is a bit
soapboxy)I really think sometimes we expect too much
too soon of kids when they are learning a new writing
genre. I'm not saying not to try or have high
expectations...I just like to remember that they are 8
and have been writers for 3-4 years at best.  It helps
me keep it real and be patient.

Lisa
2/3 IL

http://writingfix.com/PictureBookPrompts/Click_Clack_Moo_voice.htm