I think this comes out of TC.  My lit. coach modeled a great way to
classify questions:
Where do you turn to answer a question?  Are you...

"Reading the lines" - Turn directly to the book to find the answer.
these are literal questions, stated explicitly in the text.

"Reading between the lines" - these are questions which require
inferencing, but can still be supported by evidence from the text.

"Reading beyond the lines" - here you turn inward, finding the answer
within you.  These are your opinions, personal responses, etc.

This was a very powerful way to frame questions during our beginning
of the year read aloud- The Islander by Cynthia Rylant.

Some questions the children came up with and classified:

"reading the lines"- How old was Anna when she died?

"reading between the lines" - who was Daniel's "family"? (Daniel was
an orphan, so his sense of family evolved through the story)

"reading beyond the lines"- Anna, dies jumping into the ocean during
a storm to save the dog she loved.  Did she do the right thing?

I guess these specific questions are less useful if you don't know
the story.  Just wanted to give you a sense of the conversation, as
it was a powerful one.  Also, love this book.  (I'm teaching fifth
graders in NYC).

Heather