I, too, struggled with the difference between an inference and prediction.
However, the more I researched, I see the difference. Especially in
listening to children. Inference is when a reader takes ones own
experience and background knowledge to "infer" meaning. A prediction is
"guessing" based on a pattern or sequence. For example, if I see a person
driving a minivan, I would "infer" that they have a large family because
in my experience most of the people I know with large families drive large
cars. If it has been raining everyday at 3pm, I would "predict" that it
will rain today at 3pm. Does that make sense?

Christina