Words Their Way is a spelling program. It is developmental. The
spelling inventory is a list of words, starting w/ simple CVC words,
and moving on up to words w/ derivational endings (conversation, etc).
Depending on the grade you teach, there are certain places where you
stop giving words. For example, 2nd grade has 26 words, and the last
set includes long vowel spelling patterns (dream, coach, etc), as well
as digraphs & blends, and diphthongs (chewing, spoil).

Based on what your children are using but confusing (maybe they spell
everything w/ a silent e at the end, as a couple of mine did), you
decide what spelling patterns they need to focus on. I have about 1/2
my class working with short vowel spelling patterns (this week, they
are doing words with -ash, -ish, & -ush). The other 1/2 are still
working with CVC and CVCe words, using various vowels. That group
often has an "oddball" word or two which doesn't "follow the rules"
(like 'have' and 'done'). I give each group their words to cut apart
and sort, then they write the sorted words in their word study
notebooks. There are various activities that they use during the week
to practice their words, including a homework activity, and we have a
spelling test/writing sort on Fridays (10 words--they know which ones
will be on the test). That includes 2 Challenge Words (they don't know
which ones I'll choose) and 5 No Excuse words (sight words). Everyone
has the same No Excuse words.

The target words for each sort (fish, brush, dash) go on the vowel
word wall the following Monday, as do the No Excuse words (which go on
an alphabetical word wall).

Hope that helps!
Melissa/VA/2nd