Our summer school is planning enrichment sessions called "Literacy Extensions"
for students in grades 3 through 7. We would probably have 2 different groups
of students, either 3-5 & 6-7 or 3-4 & 5-7, depending on enrollment, planning
on about 10-15 students in a group.  This program is still being developed, but
right now we're thinking that students will cover 1 book a week, for a little
over an hour a day.  We're thinking that students will read the book on their
own before the week, and the tentative plan goes something like: Monday:
discuss; Tuesday: art; Wednesday: 3D representations (?); Thursday: writing;
Friday: cooking.

My questions: Has anyone done anything like this and/or do you have any
suggestions for the weekly planning?

What are some book titles or themes that could be used? We've thought of:
Little House on the Prairie books
Hatchet
Fairy Tales
Christopher Van Allsburg books