I have decided to stray a bit from our basal reader, which is somewhat frowned
upon, and read a novel with a small group in my 6th grade class.  I have done
novels as whole group read alouds and this group has read a lot from the basal
reader and other components of our reading program.  I really wanted to
challenge them, though, and get them into some serious discussions.  I am using
the book "Scorpions" by Walter Dean Myers because I think some of the topics,
like poverty, gangs and making difficult choices, will resonate with my
students.  I am not following any certain structure in terms of roles, but I
was just wondering if anyone had experience using this book or ideas on how to
tie the strategies into our book discussions.  Thanks.  ~Kecia, 6th gr.