Hi!
I teach first grade and our results in September were exactly yours.
Consider this... in kindergarten they begin to explode the alphabetic
code....combined with some appropriate reading behaviors.... many have little
experience
manipulating vowels.... so I think asking for a retell with a  connection
strategy is very ambitious for first graders.... that's why the DRA 2
works.... it
guides the teacher and student to an appropriate level for reading  not just
decoding.

That much said our team decided the following:
1. We added a unit of comprehension....a  literal understanding or  retelling
unit before we give the DRA 2... we developed it ourselves using the  "Power
of Retelling" as our guide. ...so now instead of September we give the  DRA in
October. I spoke with J. Beaver and she confirmed our thinking on
this...that they need some experience to at least know what that part of the
assessment
is asking for.

2. We examined our guided books and found that at the early levels... our
books just don't cut it.... now many published emergent leveled books don't
because how much strategy work can you do with a level b or c.... but some
companies do such a better job than others.... this is a big problem since it
means dollars......but we are addressing that problem with PTO grants and
administrative support.... mind you our guided books that we already have were
just
purchased about 8 years ago.... so.... it is tough asking to rethink this
part but it is important in my opinion because from the get go emergent readers

would lament ..."but i WANT A REAL BOOK".

Just some thoughts...

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)