I'll duck with you.... MOST kiddos just need that association conversation
like the one you mentioned.? The few who need more, give THEM what THEY need.?

Martha

-----Original Message-----
From: Ljackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 9:38 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] vowel sounds

I am going to say this and run for cover.  I never, in thirteen years in the
primary classroom, taught long and short vowel sounds.  I would say things
like,
"Sometimes when we see an e at the end of a work like this (like) it sounds
like
the i we hear in vine."  My kids read extremely well.  This ability to identify
sounds as long and short seems to me to oversimplify thngs liguistically
speaking and though this requirement has resurcased in our state standards, I
guess I don't get it.

Ducking,
Lori