Struggling readers, yes, a running record is probably necessary.  But  a
conference, a book discussion and a sharing of ideas, one on one, student to
teacher, certainly makes a student feel valued.  It does not HAVE TO  include
reading aloud unless it is deemed necessary for assessment or to cite  some
text
as part of a conversation.

leslie

In a message dated 3/10/2008 6:53:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,