Thank you everyone for your enthusiasm, encouragement, and your help!  Being so
new to this (both the position of Lit & Assessment Coach AND the entire Reading
arena) I didn't realize that the term 'literacy closet' was simply what our
elementary schools used in reference to Fountas & Pinnell's description of a
'book room' in their book Matching Books to Readers .  LeeAnn sent a great
description of what her ms has:
     ...the books are in three categories.  In one category is chapter books
that teachers can use for literature circles.
     I try to gather them around possible themes so that a teacher can have
students reading books for lit circles that
     are focused around a common theme. The second category is picture books in
sets sized for half the class. I pair
     two of these sets around a common theme and then develop a scenario
question that students have to write to
     answer and include details from the books to support their answers. This
is modeled after one of the writing prompts
     on our state test. The third category is single picture books. These are
for teachers to use as mentor texts when
     teaching reading strategies or writing traits. I've been trying to get all
of them into a data base with information
     about which strategy/trait each works best with. Then when teachers come
to me needing, say, a book to use
     for teaching word choice, I can find one for them quickly and give them
the choice of several...