Hi,
In my experience with both, the best way to tell the difference is as follows:
Comprehension Toolkit is designed for Shared Reading (all children have access
to the text.) I do agree that some of the texts are too difficult and ordering
the supplemental toolkit texts might be worthwhile.
Making Meaning is designed for Read Aloud (the children do not have a copy of
the text and the teacher does the reading)  This program offers much higher
teacher support, as a read aloud should.
So, in thinking about what to order, think about if you are looking for a
Shared Reading or Read Aloud program.

Hope that helps
Stacy C. /FL