Dear Leslie,
I can't understand how anyone who knows anything about teaching or reading
could say to a teacher, it is not your job to have children like reading.  Oh
my gosh.  And, to use the same books, over and over.  That doesn't make sense.
My advise to get your children to internalise what you have spent all this time
on is to spend a lot of time on quality picture story books.  Get for example a
pile of Eve Bunting's books picture books from the library and start reading
one every chance you can get but for each book design your questions/comments
in a way that the kids are not thinking 'strategy' but are responding naturally
to enjoing the story and at the same time, 'doing what your school expects'.
If the kids are missing the book, they are not my dear girl, getting the
strategies as the strategies are all about comprehension.  And, when we talk
about good practice in our teaching, it's about modelling joy, passion and
enthusiasm for the kids whether it be in reading and or writing.   Read, Eve's
"Rudi's pond' for example and ask your kids to respond at the end.  I'm sure,
just positive that in their natural responses to you and your questions they
will demonstrate every single 'reading strategy' a school or district would
ever want them to have but it will be done reflectively and 'authentically'.
Start grabbing some good poetry, and have the kids respond to that.  Not
writing in isolation but as a group listening and sharing the responses.
Comprehension at every level, child, adult is enhanced by the conversations of
those around you so that everyone finally gets an 'ah ha' moment.  How many
times have your heard or been with adults discussing a book and something that
seemed so 'obvious' was missing to you.  And then when that connection is made,
off go the train of thoughts.  With your kids go back to, how does this story
relate to you (text to self), to life in general (text to world) and how does
it remind you of other books (text to text).  in doing this, you are enhancing
comprehension, engagement, and discussion.  I hope this helps.   Suzanne