Leslie....

Being in a 1-2 classroom, I do teach ALL the strategies and it's important to
me that they know they build on each other.  We are working on Synthesizing now
and I'm using Jabberwocky (you can find it on the mosaic pages).  We are using
all the strategies in order to create meaning.  They are totally into it!  By
the same token, I'm reading The Tales of Despereux as a read aloud and they are
naturally synthesizing the book as we read.

In teaching, I've explained how in practicing and using our strategies they
become ingrained in us so our brains aren't thinking "I will visualize now or I
will make a connection" you do it automatically.  And sometimes you CAN'T make
a connection, but you can infer or visualize  or whatever you need to do to
make meaning.  We've talked a LOT about what it means to understand and what is
this book telling me. I'm constantly asking them...what does it mean to
understand and when they tell me they understand I ask them, what does that
mean.  I relate how when you are summarizing a book, you are helping your brain
move your memory of the book to your long term memory and so it will always be
there.  But that's surface level understanding of the book and we want to go
deeper.  That's why we use our strategies, to dig deeper.  They are TOTALLY
into it!  In fact, one of my students just compared synthesizing to the
earthquake we had here a few weeks ago.  Our
 ideas about the book change and get bigger and bigger, just like the
earthquake rings...they get bigger and bigger as they move from the epicenter.

As much as I think it is critical we teach the strategies, it is just as
critical to ME that they LOVE to read.  That's why we talk about books
CONSTANTLY...what they are reading..what I'm reading....I do not want them to
see reading as work.  I tie literature to everything.  We have literature
circles...book discussion clubs.  I don't use role sheets because I want them
to just talk about the book and focus on what's important to them and then to
each other.

I'm not answering your question because I don't know if it has to do with age
level!  But I do we know we need to teach the strategies at different depths at
each grade level.  (I spend at least 6-8 weeks on each strategy using backwards
planning)  But I would think that by time they get up in the upper grades you
should be spending less time on schema and more time on synthesis.  I do know
that I have a lot of previous students who are now in those upper grades who
LOVE to read still today.  I do know my own daughter, who was taught this way,
from primary and is now in Freshman Honors English, LOVES to read and I'm going
broke trying to keep up with her book supply!  My oldest daughter who was not
taught this way (I still have her diorama from 1st grade about Charlotte's
Web!) hates to read because she sees reading as work.  She did fine in school,
but to this day her thinking and analyzing of text and LIFE does not go as deep
as her younger sister.

So, I guess I'm saying we have to teach the strategies, but we also have to
make it fun and make sure above all else they LOVE to read....totally against
your district mandate, because it IS my job to make sure they love to read!

Sandi
PS:  check out our blog:  multiageclassroom.blogspot.com and see what they have
been doing and saying...you can also link to the classroom website and hear
them read.

1/2 multiage
Elgin, IL