We don't use a science "text" in our district but I was able to pilot a
program this year out of Berkeley called "Seeds of Science, Roots of
Reading" that beautifully combines reading skills with science skills.
I think it has made my children much stronger readers and they love it!
It's funny that they don't consider it "reading" and just giving it the
label of "science" generates a certain amount of enthusiasm. I know that
they are looking for teachers in the field to pilot the program next
year.  They continue to add on new units of study.  It might be of
interest to you if your district is looking for a forward thinking
program.
Leslie S.