From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Angela Almond
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 12:49 PM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Daily Five

I am going to try an altered Daily Five next year in my fourth grade
reading class.  Here are my plans:

We block, so I have each group of kids for 75 minutes.  I will do 45
minutes of what I've always done:  Toolkit lessons, strategy and skill
instruction, etc.  The last 30 minutes will be the Daily Five.  However,
it will really be a Weekly Five because they will choose one thing to do
each day.  There is a separate writing block so I am taking out the
writing rotation and adding a computer rotation, since we are a 1:1 school
and each child has his/her own laptop.  I am hoping that this setup will
allow me to meet with small groups more regularly in my lower blocks and
do more literature circles in my higher blocks.  This will also be the
time that the EC and AIG teachers pull their kids so they are not missing
instructional time or recess which has been the case in the past.

I'm not sure if this answers your question.  I am feeling some hesitation
because of the newness of it but I am definitely ready for a change that
will allow me to meet in small groups with my students and this is the
only kind of structured approach I have found that looks like it might
work for me.  I would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this.

mosaic@literacyworkshop.org writes:
>Hi all - We are making plans for a Daily Five study group this summer and
>HI=
>'d like a sense of how high in grades this format would be appropriate
>andl/=
>or helpful for.  The only people I've directly talked to teach primary
>grahd=
>es.  To me, it seems a bit "dis-jointed" (I can't quite figure out how to
>es=
>ay that it doesn't accommodate lengthy enough engagement periods..??)
>fort =
>grades that workshops alone really seem to fit the bill.  Do any of you
>haav=
>e any guidance for me?  Thanks.  Bev Paul

Angela Hatley Almond
Fourth Grade
East Albemarle Elementary School