Debbie Diller and Fountas and Pinnell have written about literacy centers.
They have some good thoughts and it's certainly not an author's fault when
people go overboard with the information, but I have found as a literacy coach
that some of these ideas have been sadly altered in practice.  I guess my
greatest objection (and what makes me lean more toward The Daily Five) is the
"parts is parts" trap.  What happens sometimes is that there is a unconscious
slide in practice from creating places where children can read and write to
places where the children do "stuff" (often parts) to keep them away from the
teacher.  Or, in the case of some rooms with ten "centers," keep them away from
any more than one at a time of their peers either.  Basically, there is a shift
from centers you'd want children to learn from - to centers to fill time, which
is exactly what the worry was starting this discussion.  Some "centers" might
be tachistoscopes so that children are sliding vowels or phonograms, some
"games" where children line up words according to patterns, some chunking
games, maybe cards where children use a wet-erase marker to write syllables on
lines -- you get the picture.  It seems to me that when teachers use centers as
"portable worksheets," the emphasis goes to the lowest common denominator
instead of rich literacy instruction.  Much of what teachers can "pull out" is
nothing more than parts of words, parts of sentences, parts of parts.

The other problem I see as serious and ultimately the Achilles heel of center
"instruction" is a lack of initiative and intentionality can actually be
promoted with the practice, and that's something I'm still working out in my
own head as a potential problem with The Daily Five.  With centers, it's pretty
easy to see if children are actually engaged in authentic reading or writing or
are filling their time with staying away from the teacher and interrupting her
with her Real Work.  The tasks truly are the teacher's and it's up to the child
to follow the teacher's instructions and "do" what the teacher has assigned.
It's pretty easy to see when it doesn't come from the child, isn't conceived of
by the child, isn't expanded or tweaked by the child, isn't continued on by the
child....  After all, the child is the empty vessel in some of those centers,
not the candle to be lit.

Now, the "activities" in the Daily Five are much more in balance and authentic
(not so much parts is parts), but I'm still wondering about what could be a
rigid "rotation."  When I first heard about the Daily Five, I envisioned that
the children would proceed through the 5 in a natural way that would allow and
encourage initiative and intentionality.  When I got deeper into it and heard
the sisters speak, I realized that we're still talking about distinct time
periods here and an enforced "rotation."  So a child might be way engaged in
reading some historical fiction, the bell would sound, there would be a read
aloud about Martin Luther King, the child would move on and becoming engaged in
writing about habitats which sustain wildlife, the bell would sound, there
would be a mini-lesson about exciting leads, the child would become engaged in
working on a rewrite of Hats for Sale for reader's theater, the bell would
sound.... well, you get the picture.  The lack of opportunity for a child to
plan and sustain is further exacerbated when the periods are cut from 30
minutes to 20 minutes in order to get the Five into some schools' literacy
blocks.  How would we, as adults, take to being interrupted every 20 minutes
with what we're doing and forced to start something else, knowing we'd have
only 20 minutes with that as well?

The reasoning for the "interrupting" every 20-30 minutes is given as
"brain-based" where it's purported that people can sustain attention to
something only for a given time and then their brain needs to move on.  It's
pretty hard for me to buy that when I've observed kids doing science
experiments for extended times as they change variables over and over again, or
designing and redesigning some structure in a sandbox and working the kinks
out, or finally getting to the place where they are writing the ending to a
fantasy tale which is the "shocker" and will make the whole story come out just
right.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think that every child in our care will be
self-motivated, self-directed, self-evaluative, etcetera, etcetera--but even
given that, should we really be structuring our children's day so that they
can't get better at those things which will serve them well in their quest to
be a lifelong learner with all the characteristics of such?  Where initative
matters.  Where intentionality matters.  Where flexible thinking is vital.
Where problem-solving in a group is key.

When Ellin (in To Understand) talks about literacy studio, or Lucy talks about
writers' workshop, the "tasks" are authentic and are basically the children's.
When Selma Wasserman talks about curriculum for Serious Players or Jerry Harste
talks about inquiry cycles, there is both the opportunity and the requirement
that the child is the powerful learner.  I think it goes all the way back to
John Dewey, really.

And when we look at what literacy centers (or the Daily 5) can become if they
are regarded chiefly as a way to keep kids busy and the teacher uninterrupted,
I think we're heading down the wrong path.  That path can't get us to where we
want to go.  That is, if we want to create learners who are powerfully
interested in learning, can inquire and pursue the inquiry, and can sustain
interest over time.

I think all that needs considered and my hope would be that the consideration
would be the classroom teachers' and the children's, rather than an
administrator in central administration.  But this is 2008, waaaaay after 1984.

Bev