From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of K Link
Sent: Mon 6/2/2008 1:51 AM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Marzano

I attended staff development training in  "High Yields Strategies" based on
Classroom Instruction That Works.  The reason that we had the training is
because our principals are required to do "Classroom Walkthroughs" , which are
on a Blackberry, and they are based on these strategies, with the strategies
listed as part of the checklist.  The principal checks off what he sees in a
1-2 minute classroom walkthrough.  The principal has to complete a set number
every week and then uploads the information; then someone at central office
receives a report containing the data (in addition the the principal).
So, after spending three days in a workshop on the topic, I can say without a
doubt that I agree 100% with ellin's remarks on May 26th.  A lot of the
strategies are things that have been taught in the past (i.e., reinforcing
effort, providing recognition, setting objectives, cooperative learning) with
some being more skill oriented (note-taking, graphic organizers).  The main
thing that we brought back is that a combination of four or more of these are
to be included in every lesson and should be planned ahead of time when you are
planning your unit.  It also somewhat reinforces differentiated instruction.  I
did like the part about homework (we give too much and meaningless).  I also
agree that a lot of the strategies are easier implemented in Science, and maybe
Math and Social Studies ( Sorry, I forget who mentioned that point).   I also
agree with Darcy that attending the workshop didn't change the what, when, how
of my teaching.  I already include
 most of them where they occur naturally.
 The NC EOG are not based on this book, but on his books Dimensions of Thinking
and Dimensions of Learning.  Dimensions of Thinking is the earlier book and
both are published through ASCD.  I heard that our goal summary reports (for
non NC teachers, this is a report that breaks the EOG Reading Test into
Categories which are based on Dimensions of Learning with how the class scored
as a whole and then the grade level as a whole) are not going to include
Marzano's  categories but the questions are still based on them.  They are
going to be reported by the goals.  The EOG's have never been based on Mosaic
of Thought (if that is what you mean by MOT).
Sorry for rambling on and on.  I would have much rather been in a workshop on
MOT or To Understand.  To be honest, this is not a book that I would have
chosen to read or learn in more detail in a workshop.

Parker - I love the way you put it !!!!!

Kate