Hi Susan,

I just did some research, along with some other grad. students and two profs.,
on guided reading in first grade classrooms.

There isn't a lot  of research that we found that supports/negates the use of
guided reading. There is research that supports reading recovery methods, which
is what a lot of people seem to draw on as evidence that it works. Of course
reading recovery is a completely different picture from what it looks like in a
classroom with 20+ students and a teacher who has not received (usually)
intensive training like they do in reading recovery.

So here is one study that looks directly at guided reading. Of course I've seen
many different manifestations of "guided reading"...some people use the term
guided reading when guiding a whole class through an instructional level text,
others are talking about more of a reading recovery model. Variations are the
norm.

Iaquinta, A. (2003). A Qualitative Case Study of Professional Development: Two
first grade teachers’ efforts to implement the innovation of Guided Reading.
Dissertation Abstracts International. (AAT 3090950)
--she also has a shorter article in RRQ or Reading Teacher (can't remember
which it is)

Rasinski, T.V. & Hoffman, J.V. (2003). Oral reading in the school literacy
curriculum. Reading Research Quarterly, 38, 510-522.
--this one is interesting because they make the point about how little we
really know (as researchers:) about guided reading (towards the end, I think)

Most of the other  studies were more focused on grouping practices, group
membership and differentiation between groups. If you'd like the entire list of
refs. send your email and I'll attach the file.

Good luck! I'd love to hear what else you find.

Angela