OK, the boy thinks he's being chased by a MONSTER.  Oops!

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of chris and
teresa casart
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 7:21 PM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Persuasive Writing

I don't have any examples at my fingertips, but I have a great idea from
author Steven Layne.

Read his book, "My Brother Dan's Delicious." The story is told from the
point of view of a boy who is sure he is being chased y a brother.  He
decides that the only way to survive is to get the monster to eat his
brother instead.  After reading this aloud (with much discussion and some
craft lessons) have them write persuasively to get a monster to eat someone
other than themselves.

This is so much more fun than writing to persuade the principal that we need
more recess time or something like that.

Teresa