Hi Whitney, Leveled books, guided reading groups, and different options for
activities, all allow for differentiation in the teaching of reading.  The
crucial key to differentiation is knowing each of your students as readers and
keeping records of strengths, strategies used and taking this information to
provide for the needs of all students.  The DRA is a great and easy way to do
this but there are lots of other tools available to give you formal snapshots
of your children as readers. Hope this helps.