Thank you for this post!!!!  If students are given choice and quality
reading materials, length shouldn't matter.  They will be motivated
regardless of length.

Imagine the possibilities if teachers rebelled against this testing
insanity.  As a teacher who takes great pride in teaching children to
love reading and writing I'm close to some sort of rebellion.  I
fantasize about hosting a PSSA Coach book bonfire and struggle not to
look nauseated every time we use them in class.  My test scores stink
anyhow so I don't think it will matter much, but what will matter in
the long run is not how many of my students scored proficient, but
that I got kids excited about real life reading and writing.

I know I'm venting, but I'm so sick of this testing nonsense.
Mary