-----Original Message-----
From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]  On Behalf Of Joan Matuga
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:30 AM
To:  Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: Re:  [MOSAIC] H & M Reading

I cannot believe that in the  slightest.  The H&M program, especially as
we are required to  implement is the farthest thing from Ellin Keene as
anything I can  imagine.  It is all direct and guided instruction....down
to the  smallest details.  It is designed so robots can teach it.  On  Day
1, you do this, this, this, and that.  You use  transparency...,
worksheet..., grammar..., We have even been "blessed" with  a day by day
writing program telling us what to do in writing each  day.  One week the
teacher directly models a particular lesson.   The next day, there is
guided instruction on the same format (lesson and  prompt scripted) and
the third week (using the same format) there are daily  scripted lessons
where the children supposedly do independent writing using  a script
provided.  We have a pacing calendar telling what to teach on  what day
and when to test.

We also have daily guided/scripted  lessons for math using a new program
called Envision (YUCK!!!!).  Our  Planning Calendar gives us no leeway
about how we can modify the program to  meet the needs of the particular
students in our class.  In fact, the  head of the math said, if the
students don't understand it, "Just move  on."  We have just been given a
planning calendar telling us which  Science and Social lessons to teach
on a particular week.