So, Bev, It seems I have yet to find something we disagree on! :-)  LOL

Lesson study was such an Ah hah to me last year because I have always
believed, as you do, of the interconnectedness of learning...that real
learning
requires the brain to make connections and see patterns. My  problem was trying
to do to much of that in a single lesson--I tried to force  the connections by
bringing in too much to begin with. I can give you an  example from lesson
study that illustrates your point exactly. It  was an introductory lesson---at
K,
the kids had never been invited to  create mental images before, at least in
a school setting. We used the  wonderful wordless Carl books to model creating
mental images. If you know  the books, Carl is a dog who is left in charge of
a baby for the day when mom  goes shopping. The baby, riding on Carl's back
gets into all kinds of  shennanigans---going down a laundry shoot, getting into
the refrigerator,  etc.  When we sent the kids to try to visualize on their
own, we gave them  two photocopies of two drawings from the book that followed
each other  immediately in the text but with a blank sheet of paper in between
on which  to draw what they saw in their minds in between. (Think of it like
a tiny scroll  as you would use for text mapping.) We got amazing pictures and
amazing  thinking. At our debrief, we teachers had a very rich conversation
about what we  really ended up teaching...mental images or INFERENCES-? Was our
objective for  mental images really met or did we teach something other than
what we thought we  were teaching. Truly, they were inferring what happened
inbetween the two  pictures we gave them.  In the end we decided that it didn't
really  matter...because our overall goal for the lesson study process was to
help  children learn to think more deeply...and of course, these five year
olds were  doing a great job of that. You can see how this illustrates your
points...there  was some great learning here...but not exactly what we
expected.

When we eventually got into modeling inferences with K, we certainly  built
on the thinking they had done with the Carl lesson and had a fine-tuned,
discreet outcome for several lessons that our students would understand the
connections between the two strategies. Keeping the objective narrow for a
particular lesson helped but over an entire unit we provided opportunities for
those
connections to be built. Does this make sense to you? I am still wrapping  my
head around it all.

It really seems to me that what is getting under your skin is an  underlying
philosophical difference about learning and teaching between you and  your
administrators. You are a facilitator at heart--and you believe in the
partnership of teachers and students in the learning process. You seem to be
offended
by the thought that what is learned and taught comes only from the  adults in
the room. Please don't leave the classroom...maybe you need to find a  school
where there is a better fit for your beliefs...
Jennifer

<<So my current understanding about what Ellin is saying in To  Understand is
that we must get into something deeply in order to truly  understand (and
comprehension strategies are some of the key vehicles), so  that we can then
help learners to generalize for reapplication.

I  think the point of departure for me yesterday was not in knowing what we
were  going to teach and why, not in telling the learners that so they'd have
the  wide-angle lens view first and then dwelling deeply in that, it was  the
implication (and, to me, arrogance) of thinking that we human could  learn
only one thing at a time.  (Of course, I may have been  oversensitive to the
message given.)  When you look at brain-research  you see that it is the
findings of patterns and the having of more things to  connect in more ways
that is the essence of learning.  So, Jennifer, I  strongly agree with you
that you have to focus and concentrate on what you  hope the learners learn
deeply, and I need to also remember that it takes the  connections to be able
to retain and reapply, as I think Ellin says.

I  think I need to better blend my background in integrated learning with
what I  know about lesson study, etcetera, and I don't mean to imply that
they are at  all mutually exclusive.  Many in-depth lessons will integrate
into a  far-greater understanding than will dibbles and dabbles of  discrete
information.

So I do essentially agree, Jennifer, with all  you wrote.

What I disagreed with yesterday is the presumption that  learners can learn
only one thing at a time and that we as teachers  absolutely control what
they learn.  If we're doing our job as well as  we can, they're taking their
particular schema and going in directions we  could never predict.  And maybe
we'll end up in places we'd never  thought to put on the board.  That doesn't
mean that we haven't planned  carefully and well (and multiple times, as in
lesson study); it just means  that while we focus carefully, we'll probably
end up in wonderful and  sometimes unexpected places when we dive in!

I'm so glad we don't have to  think in either/ors here.  I learn a whole lot
more that way.   Bev>>