  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email
Group<mailto:mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
  Sent: Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:27 PM
  Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] stopping and thinking/long

  Elisa,
  Join the late email reader's club. I've been so far behind that I don't
  know that l'll ever catch up!

  I think that what we are trying to accomplish is giving students a model
  of how to think, how to help them become more conscious of that little
  voice in their head. I don't think we are dictating when they should
  think, or what they should think. I think we are introducing them to
  this idea of dwelling in the words, soaking up the meaning; all the
  while training that voice, learning to have that conversation.

  Having said that, I reread a piece I wrote this summer, and there's no
  doubt that I held back, leaving it up to the reader to wonder what's
  going on. Although I do mention a storm, it's not until the last
  paragraph that I mention the word tornado. I give many clues throughout
  the piece, and if you live in the midwest you might make the connection
  earlier because of the setting, the characters' actions and dialog.

  But I'm still not convinced that this is what we are talking about. We
  want students to read and think. Mostly, though, I want my students to
  enjoy reading and to find it satisfying and worthwhile. To me, learning
  the strategies can help them come closer to doing that.

http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org<http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org>.

  Search the MOSAIC archives at
http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive<http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive>.