-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of stacy hall
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:39 PM
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org
Subject: [MOSAIC] Reading Strategy Sundae

Last year, I used Tanny McGregor's Comprehension Connections to help
children have concrete experiences with reading strategies.  I read a
few posts on here that talked about taking the "reading salad" idea
further with the idea of the "reading pizza."  My team and I really
wanted to have a concrete visual for the kids this year as we
participate in strategy units of study.  We are doing a Hollywood Theme
in our classroom, so wanted something to go with that. We came up with
the idea of building an ice-cream sundae (a favorite movie treat.)  A
special thank you to my teammate Krissy, who really worked hard to find
the right ingredients
Here are the ingredients and what strategy the represent:

Text = vanilla ice cream... "just plain without the syrup"

Thinking = syrup... "pour your thoughts over the text"

Self-Monitoring = whip cream... a reminder not to "cloud your mind with
the text- think it through!"."Helps the other toppings/strategies
'stick'"

Schema = Sprinkles... "inklings & sprinklings of life stories &
experience"

Predicting/Inferring = M & M's... Predicting is the candy coating
(surface level) & Inferring is the chocolate inside

Questioning = Cookie pieces... "thick cookies vs. thin cookies- double
stuf oreos vs. thin mints?"

Visualizing/ Sensory Images = nuts... different looks, feels, tastes,
smells?

Determining Importance = chocolate chips... "the most important part of
the cookie"- spread throughout

Summarizing/Synthesizing = cherries on top... "brings the sundae
together"... "tops off your new creation"

We build the sundae and add ingredients on a bulletin board as we
introduce and model each strategy.  The children have a reading strategy

journal that they put an ice cream bowl template in at the beginning of
the year. When a child had practiced the strategy during guided reading,
they are asked to demonstrate usage during independent reading. When a
student demonstrates strategy use during independent reading (through
using the MPRI conferencing tool and Keene's Comprehension Assessments)
they can add that topping to their individual sundaes to keep track of
their progress.

Just thought I'd share the idea:)
Stacy Cervone
http://www.teacherweb.com/FL/McDonaldElementary/MrsCervone