I hold your comments in high regard.  In fact, you are all so well-spoken and
often well-researched, that I often would prefer to read than respond, but I
have a question that concerns me.  I have read many of the recommended books on
guided reading instruction. I admit that I am still not comfortable and/or
fluent with all of the different aspects of the guided reading format.  I
understand the whole accountability to state tests, etc.  I even understand the
need for data collection (although I don't always feel that the data we
collect, such as teacher made tests is valid collection criteria), but what I
don't understand is that it seems that all we do is dissections.  We dissect
the literature, we dissect comprehension strategies, we dissect each child as
we try to identify the particular strand that needs strengthening.  The other
day I followed a lesson using a read aloud to determine theme.   Of course, I
did not read the entire picture book because we are told we don't need to do
that.  Then I expected the children to connect to the text and determine the
main idea or author's purpose or theme (aren't they pretty much the same
thing?) and most of my children looked at me rather blankly.  I am almost
wondering if dissection shouldn't be it's own block and reading and writing
should remain untouched and sacred as a workshop.  Does anyone find it
difficult to dissect the reading strategies to determine if a child isn't
asking good questions, or making solid connections, or inferring correctly?  By
third and fourth grade many of my students are synthesizing all of the
strategies and applying them when they read.  I know that they need more
practice, particularly in inferential understanding.  Doesn't a steady diet of
teaching these skills in isolation over and over again, year to year, grade to
grade, eventually kill the literature and the joy that used to be a part of the
workshop format?  I am a learner so I am trying it all out, but I am not
convinced that independent reading takes the place of literature discussions
across all levels of the classroom.  I think that sometimes we take explicit
teaching where it doesn't need to go so often and for all readers.

Leslie