From: Amy McGovern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Intervention progams
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 9:55 PM

Yes I do.  I am in my 12th year of experience teaching, training and coaching
DI reading and language programs.   I currently work as an independent
consultant.  My own school did Direct Instruction (Reading Mastery Levels 1-6)
as its core program--though we didn't start out that way.  I've
consulted in schools that use DI as their core and schools and districts that
use it as intervention...sometimes it's tier 2 intervention and sometimes
its tier 3.

I am sorry if I sounded a bit crabby in my post.  I was really responding to
some of the comments that suggested all intervention should take place within
the classroom.  I absolutely agree that the classroom teacher needs to provide
the first string of reading instruction and intervention.  But she is only one
person and there is only so much that one person can do effectively when faced
with mulitple reading levels.  With this in mind, it's good to be open to
making adjustments based on what is best for the students in front of us. We
sometimes forget how flexible kids can be when they feel loved and supported by
the team of teachers working with them.

  I am happy to share what I know.  No reading methodology or program is
perfect--so it's good to be open.  That's why I am on this listserve.
To learn and apply new things to what I already know.

Thanks for asking.

> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:30:18 -0600> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Intervention
progams> > Amy, do you have quite a bit of teaching experience with these
programs?> > On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Hillary Schab
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> > >> > On Oct 13, 2008, at
1:27 PM, Amy McGovern wrote:> >> > >> > > If
intervention doesn't need a program then how come we have the> > >
least literate society in the world?> > > We already know everything we
need to teach kids to read, the fact> > > that we have so many students
reading below grade level as a nation> > > is disheartening.> >
> There is a place for all types of reading instruction. The gifted> >
> teacher has an open mind and looks for materials to meet her> > >
student's needs. 20% of all people require a different and> > >
explicit path to literacy. Most teachers I work with have no idea> > >
how to teach something explicitly. Programs like SRA's Corrective> >
> Reading and Reading Mastery, teach teachers how to effectively> >
> reach the kinds of students who do not thrive with meaning based> >
> reading instruction. Top down strategies don't work for all kids.>
> > Sometimes we have to work from the bottom up--and that shouldn't
be> > > a crime.> > > I have found tremendous success with
scripted programs. Don't> > > believe all the negative press.>
> > When these programs are taught by a well trained teacher who> >
> understands how to get kids to mastery AND love reading at the same>
> > time, miracles happen. Training and coaching and critical for any>
> > Direct Instruction program.> > > Good luck with your
search.> > >> > > Amy> > >> From:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:39:22 -0400>> >
>> To: mosaic@literacyworkshop.org> Subject: Re: [MOSAIC]> >
>> Intervention progams> > I agree. In my school, we are not
required> > >> to use a particular "program" > and in
order to keep away from> > >> being required to use a scripted
program, we > compiled a bunch of> > >> varied stuff and can make
our own materials or pick and > choose> > >> from commercial
stuff that might fit a particular reader's needs.> > >> >
> Cathy> > > In a message dated 10/13/2008 1:23:33 P.M. Eastern>
> >> Daylight Time, > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:> >
Intervention> > >> does not need "a program".... it needs
focused attention > on> > >> individual or small groups of
students with a teacher who can> > >> assess > what they need and
give it to them.> > That's my two> > >> cents.>
Renee> > > On Oct 13, 2008, at 8:29 AM, Alisha Parkhurst> >
>> wrote:> > >> >> > I am in the market for
intervention reading> > >> programs. I have students > >
from> > K-6 throughout the week two> > >> to four times for a
half an hour. I can> > purchase different> > >> products to
fit my needs. I was wondering if > > anyone has> > an> >
>> opinion on ones they love and ones they hate. I have looked into
it.> >> > Thanks!> >>> > >> >> >
mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.> >> > Search the> > >>
MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.> >> >>
language of the> > >> people."> ~ William Butler Yeats>

your> > >> membership please go to>
http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/> > >>
options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.> > Search the MOSAIC archives>
> >> at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive. > > > >
**************New> > >> MapQuest Local shows what's happening at
your destination. >> > >> Dining, Movies, Events, News &
more. Try it out > (http://> > >>
local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)>> > >>