Gina,

Would you recommend this book for teachers K-8???

Leslie

In a message dated 10/24/2008 2:05:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

This is  the first post from the Mosaic Professional Book Review Team on
thebook "Put  Thinking to the Test" by Lori L. Conrad, Missy Matthews,
CherylZimmerman,  Patrick A. Allen. Foreword by Ellin Oliver Keene. The book
ispublished
by  Stenhouse: http://www.stenhouse.com/0731.asp.  Since the day high stakes
testing darkened the door of my classroom Iconsidered totally ignoring the
test, and simply clinging to the notion that goodteaching would prove itself
on
test day. In moments of panic and doubt I also thought about creating
anentire unit around the test genre. In the end neither approach seemed
satisfying
orfair to my students. I feel like I discovered a gold mine when I  was
reading "Put Thinking to theTest." I realize the focus is on bridging the
disconnect between classroomstrategic reading and showing proficiency on
reading test
passages, but there were so many originaland new ways to teach  metacognition
that it became a tool kit for reading comprehension any day of  the week.

Powerful StrategiesI loved the continual focus on students  noticing and
thinking...the way the authors led kids totheir own analysis and  ownership of
thinking about whatever genre was infront of them. There is a  consistent theme
about monitoring the kids and then allowing them tocreate the  teaching points.
(P.16,26) Wow.exploring poetry through tests! The Venn  diagram comparing the
two was"deep" as it led the kids to notice their  thinking about poetry will
need tochange on the test (page 33) On page 102  there is a model of a great
visual, a time line, for teacher andstudents to  track their thinking through a
piece. The idea of making connections can be a  bit sticky when students
bring nobackground knowledge to the material.  Problems also arise when
theirbackground knowledge would mislead them rather  than enlighten, and we
knowthis
happens on test passages. The lessons about  teaching students to decidewhen to
ignore their own schema were the first of  that kind that I have everseen. (P.
118-119) I think what most impressed me  was the intelligent use of testing
passageswhich honored sophisticated  thinking, rather than distilling it to
somesurface level list of tips on how  to outsmart the test maker.  I think it
is
rare to find a book that  illuminates my perspective on acontroversial subject
and becomes one of those  activity books that I milk allyear long.   Gina

Search  the MOSAIC archives at  http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.