I think the purpose of the letters has been forgotten. Teachers latch onto the Fountas & Pinnell system whether or not it works. After several years and constant reevaluation, adapting, modeling, etc. I decided it was simply a chore and didn't benefit my readers. I have not abandoned response notebooks... just amended them to fit my style, students, and philosophy.

I teach third grade and focus more on short responses... using sticky notes to record thinking on the run and preparing for partner conversations. I have the kids bring their notebooks to read aloud and mini lessons and we "respond" in a variety of ways during those times. I have a section for group work and any guided reading responses are written in the notebook as well. We even do prompted extended responses in a section. I strive for balance and felt the weekly letter writing did not yield greater understanding and became a dreaded task.
--
Becky Trieger
Vachel Lindsay Elementary

Working Together to Achieve Outstanding Results!