I agree with Becky I tried writing letters to my students very faithfully
for a year with my sixth graders and in the end it wasn't worth my time or
the kids.
Response folders serve my needs for getting at thinking and use of
comprehension strategies etc.  I also use *At Home Reading Folders* with the
ideas I got in the *R5 In Your Classroom A guide to Differentiating
Independent Reading and Developing Avid Readers* by Michelle J. Kelley and
Nicki Clausen-Grace. Their idea was to require 80 minutes of reading a week,
they have a reading record log for parents to sign off on and students to
record on indicating the book, genre, strategies used for that weeks reading
and minutes spent reading.  I developed a rubric to let them monitor how
they do with the weekly requirement of responding to their reading.  It has
been very doable for all of us and the interesting thing is my reluctant
readers feel they can meet he goal of 80 minutes a week. The parents
appreciate the flexibility of it and I like knowing they are indeed reading
at home and I can monitor their independent reading and the thinking behind
it in their half page to full page response.  I change it out about every
third to fourth week so I don't have to read them all the time.  I have the
students read in small groups their written report and have the other
students identify strategies they hear the student using in their reports,
sometimes they read to their writing partner. It doesn't take that long and
I like having it all in one folder and I can monitor how they are
progressing.  The interesting thing is my avid readers are reading two and
three times the required 80 minutes and I think they are pretty pleased with
themselves.